Electrocution continues to be the 4th leading cause of death among construction workers
The reality is, most workers are unaware of many of the potential electrical hazards on the jobsite or disregard known hazards because following safety protocol is time consuming. However, most work-related electrocutions are preventable.
Causes of electrocution on construction job sites:
- Working near “live” wires
- Direct or indirect contact with live electrical equipment and wiring
- Contact with overhead power lines
- Contact with machinery, appliances, power tools, portable lights and defective power/extension cords
- Touching metal objects that have become energized: ladders, pipes, etc…
- Working in cramped areas: attics, crawl spaces
Tips to preventing most work-related electrocutions*:
- Comply with OSHA regulations on electrical safety
- Train employees on electrical safety
- Contact utility companies in advance to de-energize or insulate overhead power lines
- If asked to work live, verify with owner/client that de-energizing live electrical circuits/parts is not practical or would create a greater hazard.
- Only allow work on live electrical circuits/parts in accordance with a permit system with specific procedures.
- De-energize and lock out or tag out electrical circuits/parts you will be working on or near. Hilmerson’s patented Current Cover™ is an adhesive outlet cover that offers a perfect solution to allow workers to work safely around energized outlets and switches.
- Work only on live electrical circuits/parts in accordance with a permit system with specific procedures and if you are qualified to do so.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment and use proper tools when de-energizing or testing live electrical circuits/parts or otherwise working live.
All Construction Workers:
- Make sure you are trained in electrical safety for the work you will be doing.
- Ensure machinery and power tools are properly grounded or double insulated.
- Check all extension and power cords for wear and tear before use.
- Disconnect the plug on any power tool or machinery before inspecting or repairing.
- Keep at least 10 feet from live overhead power lines.
- Keep metal objects away from live electrical circuits/parts.
*Reference: “Why Are So Many Construction Workers Being Electrocuted” Center for Construction Research and Training
The Current Cover™ is a temporary safety cover with a peel and stick robust adhesive backing that secures firmly to the receptacle tabs that allows construction workers to work safely around energized outlets, switches and other electrical fixtures.
“We are currently working on a $34 million senior living facility called Cadence Olney, and ordered two sample packs of your Current Covers™ as a way to improve safety and efficiency in the field during construction. The Current Covers™ work perfectly, are quick and easy to install and provide the safety measures we required on our jobsites. We have been so pleased with how well these work, that we have placed another, larger order and will be recommending them to other field teams within Harkins.”
– Rob Maybach, Superintendent, Harkins Builders, Inc.
About Hilmerson Safety
Hilmerson Safety® is a full-service safety product design and manufacturing company serving the construction industry. Since 2001 Hilmerson Safety® has been working with construction industry leaders and contractors to develop safe, lean, construction-grade™ products and solutions that add to the company’s bottom line.
For more information email us or call (952) 239-0125